Have you or a loved one been involved in an accident? When do you need a lawyer?
There are many reasons that you may need a lawyer, as well as many benefits including avoiding excess cost.
Read on to learn how to determine if you have a case.
DO I HAVE A PERSONAL INJURY CASE?
To determine if you or a loved one have a personal injury case, ask yourself:
- Were your injuries caused by the actions of another person?
- Do you have recoverable damages?
- Did you suffer personal injury and not property damage?
WHEN DO YOU NEED A LAWYER?
There are several personal injury cases that may require a lawyer. If you or a loved one are involved in any of these cases, you may want to consider hiring a lawyer:
- Medical malpractice: Occurs when a health care professional neglects to provide proper treatment, or gives standard treatment that causes harm, injury, or death.
- Car accidents: Serious accidents can result in emotional distress, lost wages, considerable pain and medical expenses.
- Defamation: Libel and slander: Defamation occurs when a person makes a false statement about another person and the statement harms that person’s reputation.
- Assault, battery, torts: The act of inflicting physical harm to a person.
- Nursing home abuse: The caregiver intends to harm the elderly person.
To learn more about medical malpractice, read our in-depth blog.
To learn more about nursing home abuse, check out one of our other blogs.
These personal injury cases allow an injured plaintiff (the person who brings a civil suit) to receive compensation when someone else’s negligence or intentional act caused the plaintiff harm. These are cases that may require expert advice from a lawyer.
WHY YOU SHOULD HIRE A LAWYER
Not every legal matter will require the use of a lawyer, for example: Small claims court. Small claims court resolves relatively small monetary disputes. In other situations, you may not want to risk going at the case alone without the help of an experienced lawyer who can help you win your case.
Hiring a lawyer can have many benefits:
- Lawyers know how to challenge: You may not know a key piece of evidence against you was improperly obtained, or the witness contradicts an earlier statement. Your lawyer will find out all the correct information.
- Not having a lawyer may cost you more: A criminal case can determine whether or not you spend time in jail, while a civil case can hurt you financially. You may be able to claim legal fees as a plaintiff in a civil case.
- Handling legal procedures: Lawyers know how to properly file documents. If you are not a lawyer, you may struggle with handling certain legal documents. One incorrect filing could harm your case.
- You are not sure how to plead: Pleading is when parties formally submit their claims and defenses. A lawyer can explain the best option to help you avoid potential penalties or jail time.
- Avoiding problems: Hiring a lawyer can help you avoid potential legal issues down the road. The lawyer understands the contract that you are signing and will explain it to you.
- Settlement offer: An experienced lawyer will know how the case may be resolved at trial. Settlement may be the best option. Other times, it will make sense for your case to go through trial.
- Negotiating: A lawyer can also help you negotiate a fair settlement with the opposing party.
PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
Most of the time, you are not prepared for the accident or case that just happened to you or a loved one. We understand that this can be a tough time for you. As your legal representative, your lawyer will focus on you and your outcome and help you get through this situation.
- Your legal team will focus on any physical, emotional or financial recovery that you may be dealing with.
- These cases can be complex, but your lawyer will deal with the case and focus on you and your family.
- Your lawyer will deal with the insurance companies so that you do not have to worry about the stress of knowing which coverage applies to your claim.
- Hiring a lawyer means less stress and higher amounts recovered for your injury.
What personal injury lawyers will do for you:
A personal injury lawyer will listen to you, talk to you and your family about your options, go through information and evidence and proceed with a course of action:
- Handling your case personally
- Gathering evidence
- Making sure all documents are properly filed
- Portraying your best interest
- Handling potential settlement options
QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR POTENTIAL LAWYER
Your personal injury lawyer should handle all legal work and be with you through the entire case. When hiring a personal injury lawyer, ask yourself:
- What do others say about your lawyer? Are there any reviews or testimonials?
- Does your lawyer focus on the type of case you have?
- Can your lawyer be with you every step of the way? Will you get the one-on-one attention that you need?
STEALEY LAW & MEDIATION | PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
Personal injury cases can be stressful and complex. At Stealey Law & Mediation, Jim Stealey will personally meet with you to discuss your case so you feel more relaxed.
Stealey Law & Mediation will be with you every step of the way to make sure we answer all of your questions regarding your case. We will work with you and your family to provide the guidance you need when making important decisions.
Do you think you have a personal injury case? Get a free case evaluation.
Call us today at: 304-485-3127